Lunaescence Archives Community Center

For the Sake of Creative Writing

07.15.10 Update

07.15.10 Update

Postby Penguiduck » July 15th, 2010, 9:07 am

I've put a lot of thinking into what I'm going to tell you all next. In fact, I've analyzed the facts with numbers ('cause I'm secretly a nerd-- was a science major at one point, after all!). :P I was thinking about how slow I've been writing the next few updates because I don't have much interest in them.

Instead of explaining in huge blocks of text about how I feel about each piece I'm working on, I'll show you:

Everything is rated from either a 1 (low) to 5 (high).

Potential -- Do I see this becoming something great that people will finish reading and go, "Wow! That was fantastic!"? Or is it something that, to me, seems pointless and not worth my time?

Muse -- What is my average level of inspiration? When I designate time to write, do I sit down with my laptop and go, "Okay... so um... uh... so what's going to happen? ...err... I... don't know..?" Or can I cruise through a chapter easily?

End in sight? -- Can I visualize an ending? Do I see this series coming to a satisfying close? Or am I unsure and kind of dawdling until I can stumbling upon an ending?

Reader interest -- Judging by messages, reviews and ratings, how is each piece accepted? Are people still interested? Or have I gotten little feedback lately?

Writer interest -- Do I groan and sigh whenever the thought of updating a particular piece comes to mind? Is the update something that I can write with relative ease because I find the writing exciting and worthwhile?

The three that are the lowest (Chronicles of Narnia: The Missing Season, A Digimon Tale and Meaning of Devotion) I've made the decision to discontinue.

CoN: MS was already on a hiatus. I think everyone saw this coming. My interest just faded, and I obviously never knew where I was going with this. I might as well officially discontinue this.

DT was made on a whim-- I do this a lot, which is awful, but I don't feel the need to write Matt an entire series anymore. I have no idea what to write either, other than small, mushy things between Matt and the reader. While cute, I prefer epic story lines.

MoD-- I put a lot of thought into this one. I was so excited to make this a real life wwyff, but it just didn't work out. I went back and read through what I had so far, discovering that it really isn't that interesting. Besides, I ran into complications. It's absolutely impossible to chronicle one's college experience without some important definition of identity (political stance, race, major, etc.), which I couldn't do because MoD is a reader insert.

I sincerely apologize for any disappointment this decision may have caused. However, I don't think it's fair for me to force myself to write something I no longer have any interest in, and it's certainly unfair to readers for these delayed updates with a possible lack of quality as a result of my disinterest.

If anyone is interested in finishing the remainder of the above three stories, please feel free to message me. We'll discuss the possibility. ^_^

I don't know how many people are interested, but I'm beginning a Seto Kaiba fic (I had three dreams about him in the past week-- it's fate, I swear) and might be extending my Howl two-shot. I'll also be working on one-shots and possibly drabbles, depending on what my contest winners want. :D Speaking of which-- you all only have a little over a week for that JL art entry! Get those pieces in!

Thanks for listening to my rambling. Kaiba's fic should be up soon! Comments, suggestions and questions are welcome!

Always,

Penguiduck
Penguiduck

Re: 07.15.10 Update

Postby Kerrigan Sheehan » May 9th, 2011, 7:54 pm

This is a really, really interesting way of analyzing which stories get priority. (You're not the only secret nerd on this site.) I'm only working on one big fiction project at the moment, but I'm in preparation mode for others. Perhaps I'll use this analytical system.
Kerrigan Sheehan

Postby Penguiduck » May 16th, 2011, 11:38 pm

If you would like to do so, by all means. :)
Penguiduck

Postby Kerrigan Sheehan » May 17th, 2011, 9:57 am

It's a great idea, especially for those of us who are objective and analytical about deciding what to write when while multiple projects are in the works. I'm about to start a second huge project, so a modified version of this will become extremely helpful to me in the near future.
Kerrigan Sheehan

Return to Penguiduck