Lunaescence Archives Community Center

For the Sake of Creative Writing

Suggestion: Additional Story Warnings

Discussions specifically about the web site and the way we run it. Also contains topics regarding what we're planning to do next in terms of it's development.

Suggestion: Additional Story Warnings

Postby DragonSilk » June 1st, 2012, 1:55 am

I have at least two fics right now where I really would like to be able to apply a 'Psychological Abuse' warning to them. (One of them really does need it as a warning.) I'm not entirely sure if moderators are able to do this (it would be similar to adding a character to a category, but it's also a change that would affect the entire site), but I thought I might make the suggestion since I know I'd use that warning.

I guess a general 'Abuse' warning wouldn't be uncalled for either. Of course I'm asking specifically for 'Psychological Abuse' since just a general abuse warning would make me think of physical abuse and my fics are strictly psychological.
DragonSilk

Re: Suggestion: Additional Story Warnings

Postby Kerrigan Sheehan » June 1st, 2012, 10:54 am

I can do zat!

I've actually done it before, shortly after I got the extended powers to let me add categories and characters. I needed a warning for mild violence. (Akin to what you'd see in, say, a cartoon. Nobody gets seriously hurt, but a fight occurs.) I added yours as "Physical Abuse," "Sexual Abuse," and "Emotional Abuse." That way, they're all separate.

I also added a few more, based on what I've seen from other writing sites and from the ESRB. Who knew my husband's collection of empty and mismatched game boxes would be so useful?

The following is a list of what I've added and how to use each one, plus some justification for why I added some of them. I'm going to add them to this later. (By later I mean after I drink my tea...very serious business, tea...)

Alcohol Abuse - heavy use of alcohol and use of alcohol in otherwise irresponsible or inappropriate situations, such as drunk driving. (I felt it needed to be separate from drug use. ESRB notes the two separately as well.)
Emotional Abuse - verbal abuse, coersion, shaming, or manipulation of someone close to the abuser, such as a child, sibling, partner, student, etc.
Fetish and Paraphilia - abnormal sexual attraction, either to a non-living object (fetish) or to an abnormal or unusual trait or condition. (This would include things like tentacles, feet or shoes, being attracted specifically to amputees or the dead, and a lot of things I really, really don't want to think about while I'm eating lunch...)
Multiple Partners - a story involving a character with more than one sexual partner, either having more than one spouse (polygamy) or having a threesome, foursome, orgy, etc. This is NOT for a story that simply contains more than one couple or an affair.
Physical Abuse - violent actions done to someone close to the abuser, such as a child, sibling, partner, student, etc.
Self-Harm - intentional injury to oneself, either through deliberate actions (cutting, starvation, insertion, mutilation, etc.) or through deliberately risky behaviors (drug use, promiscuous sexual behavior, dangerous thrill-seeking or attention-seeking behaviors, etc.) with the purpose of punishing oneself, releasing anxiety, etc. This is not the same as suicide, but the two warnings can be used together if both apply.
Sexual Abuse - unwanted sexual advances, often systematic, often to someone close to the abuser, such as a child, sibling, partner, student, etc. Can be used with rape warning.
Strong Political Views - extreme, unorthodox, or strongly-defended views, often forced upon others, including modern supremacist (KKK) and fascist (neo-nazi) groups. (I'm not sure how often we'll need this one, but I have a personal need for it for something I have in pre-production involving a dystopian future.)
Strong Religious Views - extreme, unorthodox, or strongly-defended views, sometimes forced upon others, including churches practicing hate speech (Westboro Baptist), religious or political terrorist organizations (Al Qaeda), cults (Manson family, Jonestown), historical religious mania (witch burnings, Spanish Inquisition), etc.

Well...that was depressing...

If there's anything else anyone wants to see a warning for (either because they intend to write about it or because they think there should be a warning for it), just continue the thread. I considered adding one for eating disorders, but I want another opinion on it first.
I'm doing NaNoWriMo. I will start noticing things again when the little line fills up. Sorry for any inconvenience this causes.
Kerrigan Sheehan

Postby aestover » June 1st, 2012, 12:24 pm

I'd like to suggest warnings for Pregnancy/Childbirth complications. :)
aestover

Postby Koneko Mizuki » June 1st, 2012, 4:07 pm

I'm not sure if a separate warning should be added for it (or if it would be necessary at all), but could there be a difference between "strong language" and "mild language"? I feel weird marking a story as using "strong language" when throwing around "bitch," "damn," "hell" and the occasional "shit" while there is a lot of words that begin with f and c and t which could be much worse. Besides, "coarse language" and "strong language" is one of the differences between 13+ and 17+. Just wondering, though!
"Writing is like driving at night in the fog. You can only see as far as your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way."
-E.L. Doctorow

this username seems archaic now
Koneko Mizuki

Postby Kerrigan Sheehan » June 1st, 2012, 4:10 pm

We have Blood, Guts, and Gore, which usually covers the squicky bits of that. Is there any particular reason besides blood and guts that you feel that pregnancy warrants a warning?

Part of the reason I ask has to do with the fact that we don't want to have too many super-specific warnings. Another part of the reason I ask is that I've seen a lot of stories involving pregnancy, most of which weren't particularly gory or disturbing.

I have added "Coarse Language" as a warning.
I'm doing NaNoWriMo. I will start noticing things again when the little line fills up. Sorry for any inconvenience this causes.
Kerrigan Sheehan

Postby DragonSilk » June 1st, 2012, 5:25 pm

Thanks for the added warnings~!
DragonSilk

Postby CourageAngel » June 4th, 2012, 10:29 am

Thanks for these new story warnings.
CourageAngel

Postby Kerrigan Sheehan » June 4th, 2012, 10:38 am

No problem. If there's one you think we're missing, let us know at any time. (Does anyone feel that eating disorders need a warning? Not really? Just don't show up enough?)
Kerrigan Sheehan

Postby aestover » June 4th, 2012, 1:51 pm

I didn't intend for pregnancy itself to have a warning, but issues with pregnancy (miscarriage and the like) as they are an emotional triggers for some who may have dealt with losing a child or some who have experienced other trauma.
aestover

Postby Kerrigan Sheehan » June 4th, 2012, 6:04 pm

My other question is whether or not it comes up on the archive all that often. Give me a few examples of places where

The only time I've ever run into it is in my own stories, where it's probably one of the least disturbing things present. (The story where it's mentioned that a character has had miscarriages in the past also includes graphic torture scenes...hence how it's the least disturbing part...)
Kerrigan Sheehan

Postby dark_wing19 » June 5th, 2012, 5:13 pm

I think you should go ahead and add in the eating disorder warning. I haven't read many stories about it, but I have read a few. But sometimes eating disorders could be considered as self-harm. The only real difference would be that eating disorders are the result of a psychological issue.

Still, I don't see any harm in adding it just in case.
dark_wing19

Postby PromisesToKeep » June 14th, 2012, 5:59 pm

I noticed the changes a while back (but never figured to come here to figure out how it came about)! Thank you for adding the warnings! ^^
I'm not alone. Not anymore.- Cloud Strife, Advent Children
PromisesToKeep

Postby Kerrigan Sheehan » June 14th, 2012, 6:27 pm

It's not a problem. They're actually as simple to add as categories or genres. We don't want too many of them or things that are too specific, but it's not a big deal to add a few.
Kerrigan Sheehan

Return to The Archive