Lunaescence Archives Community Center

For the Sake of Creative Writing

Monthly Challenges: July 2012

Discussions specifically about the web site and the way we run it. Also contains topics regarding what we're planning to do next in terms of it's development.

Monthly Challenges: July 2012

Postby Kerrigan Sheehan » April 28th, 2012, 2:48 am

Shay and I decided that it would be fun to bring back something Luna had a very, very long time ago: Monthly Challenges. Because this is the first time for most, this post includes a handy FAQ.

EDIT: Since the forums were down for most of May, these are due at the end of June and will be featured as a series in July's announcements.

What are they?
We give you a prompt at the beginning of the month, you write a story for it, tell us about it in this thread, and we put it into a series and link the series in the following month's announcements.

Is it fandom-specific?
We may use something like poetry, out-of-your-box, or OF as a challenge theme, but it will otherwise never be specific to one genre or fandom.

Is there a limit on ratings or warnings?
There is no limit on ratings, warnings, story types, fandoms, or content unless otherwise specified in a given month. (The only time there would likely be a limit would be if the challenge was to write a children's story.)

Isn't that like the challenge section?
A bit, but this is more official.

Can I submit my suggestions for prompts?
The thread for suggestions is here

Do I link my own story here?
Yes. Once you have at least one chapter posted for the prompt, you link it here.

Is there a deadline?
Yes. It has to be submitted before the next announcements go up, so by the last day of the month.

Can I submit something I wrote last year if it fits the prompt?
No. We're looking for new stories.

I know one of the first two prompts is a common one. It was chosen because it's been a VERY long time since there were regular monthly challenges. It's been so long, in fact, that the majority of users joined after they had stopped, so we needed an easy one to get people used to the idea without scaring them away. In the future, they're more likely to be a bit more complex. There may even be ones with easy, medium, and hard variations on the same prompt.

(For those of you who are not validated, if your monthly challenge story is sitting in the queue close to the end of the month, let a mod know and also tell them that it's for the monthly challenge, since that negates the two-week rule on asking about stories.)
Last edited by Kerrigan Sheehan on May 30th, 2012, 9:50 am, edited 6 times in total.
Kerrigan Sheehan

Re: Monthly Challenges: May/June 2012

Postby Kerrigan Sheehan » April 28th, 2012, 3:00 am

Because June is Double Header Month, meaning that there are two of everything, there are also two monthly challenge prompts. They're also fairly simple, open prompts because it's the first time.

1. Write a story about a hero or group of heroes. Use the following words somewhere in it: goo, leather, bottle, skimpy, fish, sheep, fantastic

2. Write a story about summer.

You can write as many as you like for either prompt. You can write for both prompts. You can write both prompts in one story. This is all fine. When you link your story/stories here, please let us know which one it's for. It should be obvious, but you never know.

Deadline to have them featured in the July announcements is June 30.
Kerrigan Sheehan

Postby Ruby Spice » May 1st, 2012, 6:12 pm

My submittion is for the second challenge, a story about summer.

Title: More Than a Summer Fling
Hana Yori Dango
Ten Chapters

http://www.lunaescence.com/fics/viewstory.php?sid=27499&warning=17+
"Everytime I think I've lost everything, I find there is still something for me to lose." ~ Han Alister, character created by Cinda Chima Williams.
Ruby Spice

Postby Sharp Shiny Pickle » May 1st, 2012, 6:52 pm

@Ruby Spice: Ah, I think you misunderstood the point of the challenges! These monthly challenges are so that you write a story based on the prompts during the month they are issued. Your submission would not be valid because it is a story you have already written.
"To me, boxing is like a ballet, expect there is no music, no choreography, and the dancers hit each other." - Jack Handey
Sharp Shiny Pickle

Postby Ruby Spice » May 1st, 2012, 7:01 pm

Yeeek, really? Oh, okay, well, that knowledge helps greatly~! Thank you so much for telling me so!!
"Everytime I think I've lost everything, I find there is still something for me to lose." ~ Han Alister, character created by Cinda Chima Williams.
Ruby Spice

Postby Kerrigan Sheehan » May 2nd, 2012, 1:58 am

SSP...I'm such an idiot...I can't believe I forgot to mention that somehow...

Thanks for catching that. Original post has been edited.
Kerrigan Sheehan

Return to The Archive