Lunaescence Archives Community Center

For the Sake of Creative Writing

Fic Trade Summer 2011 - Q&A Thread

OOC Discussions for forum games. Post your character bios, discuss 1000 word challenges, challenge each other to a game. It's all good.

Fic Trade Summer 2011 - Q&A Thread

Postby kureyuki » June 1st, 2011, 12:50 am

☆ ★ Lunaescence Fic Trade Summer 2011 ★ ☆

This is the Q&A Thread.

If you're looking for the Registration Thread, you will find it here.
The Discussion Thread can be found here.

Here, Mao and I will try our best to answer any questions or concerns you have concerning the Fic Trade.

So post away! :)
Last edited by kureyuki on June 1st, 2011, 1:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
kureyuki

Fic Trade FAQ

Postby kureyuki » June 1st, 2011, 12:53 am

Fic Trade FAQ

Here we will be posting a list of frequently answered questions on the thread. Please refer to this first before posting your question. Thank you!

Q. Am I allowed to go over the specified word limit?
A. Short answer: probably, yes. Long answer: it's really your call! It would be pretty strange to get, say, a 5K word fic for something that was requested to be 500 words. However, most cases aren't that extreme, and if you think the extra length is necessary, Mao's advice would be to go for it.

Q. If I'm writing a 5,000+ word fic despite my person asking for something shorter, does the early or late deadline apply to me?
A. The late deadline.

Q. Can I write something that is several chapters long?
A. Go for it. Drabble collection, CYOA, minific, one-shot- they're all good! Just be sure to finish on time.

Q. Can I add my trade to the queue even if I already have another story waiting to be validated?
A. Yes, you can. There is no limit on the number of separate stories you submit to the queue. However, the "no multiple chapters of the same story in queue" rule still applies.

Q. I volunteered to be a spare, but I didn't get any extra assignments. What happened?
A. Spares are only given assignments when someone is unable to fulfill one of their person's prompts. So far, we've had many more spares than people who've failed to finish their assignments, which is great! As a result, only a few spares are given extra assignments.

Q. Can I fulfill more than one of my person's prompts?
A. Yes! If you think I'll have no problems meeting your deadline, go ahead!

Q. It's 2 days before my deadline. Something just came up, and I won't be able to finish. What now?
A1. If you have the early deadline: contact us (Kay and Mao) before the day of the early deadline and state that you won't be able to make your deadline. We can give you an extension, usually until the late deadline. If you require even more time than that, then please tell us and refer to the below section. You can contact us by posting in the registration/submission thread, PMing us, or emailing us.
A2. If you have the late deadline: You have a few options here: contact us privately before the date of the late deadline, requesting an extension. We'll inform your person about the extension, so that they will a) not be in the dark about anything and; b) not know your identity. The alternative is to split your work into parts and post just the first few parts. You can finish and post the rest when you have time again. You still have to contact us about the lateness, however. (Don't worry, we won't eat you or anything.)

Q. Can I talk to my person about the Fic Trade before I post my fic?
A. Er, we'd prefer if you didn't. This is supposed to be like a Secret Santa; your identity is supposed to be a surprise. :D

Q. I didn't finish my assignment for the previous round. Can I participate in this one?
A. No.

Q. How about the next?
A. Yes, you can. However, if you do not finish your assignment for three non-consecutive rounds, you will not be allowed to participate in the following rounds of the same year.
kureyuki

Re: Fic Trade Summer 2011 - Q&A Thread

Postby Kerrigan Sheehan » January 19th, 2012, 6:01 pm

Q. What does "max rating" mean? Does it mean I have to write that rating?
A.
No. It means you can write up to that rating, but not higher. So if your recipient requested 17+, you can write All or 13+, but not Adult.
Kerrigan Sheehan

Postby Pepe Le Pew » May 1st, 2012, 9:28 am

Not sure whether I'm supposed to post this here.

I was wondering whether or not that the Fandoms listed under Reading list means the ones you read for. The last Fandoms mentioned on the application is obviously what you write for, right?

I have a funny suspicion this is a stupid question, but I just wanted to make sure. :oops:
There's nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and open a vein. ~Walter Wellesley "Red" Smith

Credit to my sister for making me the lovely avatar!
Pepe Le Pew

Postby Kerrigan Sheehan » May 1st, 2012, 12:35 pm

That is correct. I kept it separate because there are some people who like to read for certain fandoms but aren't familiar enough to write for them or entirely comfortable doing so.
Kerrigan Sheehan

Postby Pepe Le Pew » May 1st, 2012, 3:17 pm

Ah, thank you!

Good to know I got that right. I can't wait for this, it sounds like it's going to be fun!
There's nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and open a vein. ~Walter Wellesley "Red" Smith

Credit to my sister for making me the lovely avatar!
Pepe Le Pew

Postby RyuseiStreamGirl » June 4th, 2012, 8:26 pm

How long has the deadline been extended to?
I still want to participate in at least one of the two Fic-trades, and I also wanted to spread the word around to my friends.
I also wanted to know whether the rest of the deadlines have been extended as well.
I have to talk with myself and my school's finals schedule to see whether I'll have time to do it or not...

Thank you!
~RSG

IGNORE WHAT I JUST SAID!!!
Apparently I don't know what month it is xD
RyuseiStreamGirl

Postby Kerrigan Sheehan » June 4th, 2012, 8:59 pm

The signup deadline is the 10th. The due dates, however, haven't changed, making it a flash trade so that we can have more than one trade this summer.

My advice would be to pick only one to sign up for if you think you'll be busy and to let me know if it just happens to line up with your finals. I can give a case-by-case extension for anyone who really wants to do it but has finals, wants to do something long, etc.

Keep in mind, most fic trade submissions (other than my things and DG's things) range from about 500 to about 3,000 words. If you were to do something on the shorter end of that, it could take as little as a couple of hours, depending on how quickly you write.
Kerrigan Sheehan

Postby Akira » June 5th, 2012, 8:10 pm

I just want to clear this up~ Because I'm sort of confused on how this works. So we can choose ANY prompt we want when I get our "person". Can we also choose ANY series/category they listed? o.O (Somehow that sounds really stupid -.-)
Akira

Postby Kerrigan Sheehan » June 5th, 2012, 8:46 pm

I'm guessing you're talking about prompt list trade, but I'll clarify it for both.

Prompt List Trade - You'll be matched based on what categories you write vs. what your recipient will read. You pick any fandom from their reading list and any prompt from the list. (I tried to keep it pretty PG and generic so hopefully there's nothing on there that crosses anyone's do not want list.

Fandom-Free Trade - Matched randomly. Pick a prompt they suggested. Write your own fandom.
Kerrigan Sheehan

Return to Locker Room